By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Production Assistant and Best Lunch Guest Ever: Anthony Lunsmann
Photography by Teresa Earnest Photography
On location at The Grant Hotel, available through Lucky Savannah Vacation Rentals
I’m setting a turnip-inspired holiday lunch table for a lunch with one of my most favorite people in all the world, Anthony! Like these playful turnips that filled bowls for the
centerpiece of our table, Anthony has never ceased to make me smile.
1. Casual Setting: A turnip is a humble food, so a casual table is the perfect setting. I chose a kitchen counter.
2. Super Star Centerpiece: I let the turnip be the star by filling 4 simple white bowls with turnips, then I added some holiday by tucking in silver ornaments and greenery.
3. Placemats: Instead of any ordinary placemat, I used handmade paper and folded in a pocket for the flatware.
4. Ombre Dyed Napkins: I wanted to mimic the beautiful ombre of a turnip skin, so I took a wet length of white linen and dip dyed it using purple vegetable dye. Then, it was torn into napkins with a beautiful frayed edge. Place a piece of green on top and it’s perfection.
5. White Plates: Sometimes, you just need a white plate. The purple napkin is perfect for placing on top for a pop!
Lunch would just be lunch unless you invited someone you loved to share the table with you. Then it’s a memory creator.