By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Shopkeep Apron in Indigo Denim from Libbie Summers label
Fresh local oysters fried to the perfect crispness, stuffed inside a sweet slit-top brioche bun and slathered in a magical spicy remoulade sauce. BOOM! Heaven on a lunch plate.
The Best Fried Oyster Sandwich with Cool Smoke Remoulade
(makes 4 sandwiches)
What you need:
1 pint shucked oysters (about 36 small oysters)
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (or your favorite BBQ Rub)
Canola oil for frying
Flake Sea Salt
4 split-top brioche buns (toasting optional)
4 lemon wedges for garnish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
For Cool Smoke Remoulade
1 1/2 cups Duke’s Mayonnaise
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 teaspoon hot sauce (your fave)
1 tablespoon Cool Smoke Everything Rub (can substitute Old Bay Seasoning or your favorite rub)
1 minced garlic
What to do:
1. Soak Oysters: In a medium bowl add buttermilk and drained oysters. Set aside.
2. Make Dry Coating: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, bread crumbs, corn meal and 2 tablespoons Cool Smoke Everything Rub. Set aside.
3. Make Cool Smoke Remoulade: In a medium bowl, stir together all remoulade ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Fry Oysters: Pour 3-4 inches of oil into a deep heavy-bottomed pot and heat to 350°F. Remove oysters one at a time from buttermilk and shake off, then dredge in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. Working in batches, carefully add the oysters to the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crisp (about 2 minutes), drain on paper towels and sprinkle immediately with flake sea salt. Continue with the rest of the oysters.
5. Make Sandwiches: Slather the inside of the rolls with Cool Smoke Remoulade. Stuff hot oysters into the roll and top with another spoonful of sauce. Squeeze lemon over each sandwich and garnish with chopped parsley. BOOM! Serve immediately.
*Watch the IGTV making this sandwich!
*Make sure to check out my friend Ashley Strickland Freeman’s new book The Duke’s Mayonnaise Cookbook -75 Recipes Celebrating the Perfect Condiment