By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
A true lesson in Holiday Cheer!
I try to give homemade gifts that are a bit unique. This year, for all the people that have cheered me on in life I’m giving a pair of cheerleading pom poms! Because I think everybody should make Varsity this holiday!
Homemade Cheerleading Pom Poms
(makes one pair)
What you need:
2-3 plastic table cloths (in whatever colors you would like to make the pom poms…we found every color imaginable at Party City), cut into 9″ x 12″ rectangles
What to do:
1. Make two stacks of 25-30 layers of the 9″x 12″ cut pieces of table cloth together. For a colorful pom pom, vary the colors as you stack them.
2. Working on one stack at a time, cut strips about 1/2 -3/4″ wide and 4.5 inches long down the entire length of each of the 9 inch sides of the rectangle stack to create a fringe. There should be about 3 inches of un-cut material remaining in the center of the rectangle stack.
3. Scrunch together the uncut center of the pom pom and secure with duct tape.
4. Repeat process with the other pom pom.
5. Nows the time consuming time. I can tell you it took two episodes of Flipping Out to get one pair of pom poms fluffy. Here’s what you do: Working in sections, take two strips at a time and pull the two strips in opposite directions. Repeat on all the strips until the entire pom-pom is full.