By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
I’ve been making fresh bagels since my family and I lived on our sailboat for two years. I’d make a jar of Everything Bagel Topping to have on hand for those special Boat Bagel Breakfasts when we were feeling a little homesick.
Now, it’s both funny and fantastic to see Everything Bagel Topping mixes on sale in groceries across the United States. It really is the perfect topping for everything from bagels to baked potatoes –the trick is in the toasting! My family also loves it on popcorn and it makes one hell of a cracker spread in a pinch when mixed into softened cream cheese.
Everything Bagel Topping
makes 2 cups
What you need:
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup dried minced garlic
1/3 cup flake sea salt or Kosher salt
1/3 cup black sesame seeds
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup dried minced onions
What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour ingredients onto a baking sheet and mix together with your hands. Spread out in an even layer and bake until golden brown (8-10 minutes).
Allow to cool. Store in a sealed jar for up to 3 months.
1. Sprinkle on Avocado Toast that’s been decorated with watermelon radish and edible flowers.
2. Make Everything Bagels!! Get my Boat Bagel recipe HERE.
3. Sprinkle on popcorn.
4. Sprinkle on a baked potato (sweet potatoes too).
5. Sprinkle over steamed rice.
6. Sprinkle over cottage cheese and tomatoes for a quick breakfast.
7. Eggs…no brainer there.