By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Photography by Teresa Earnest
The perfect summer palate cleanser! Cold on the tongue with a subtle basil hint and lime kick! Just sweet enough to not make you pucker. Serve in a salvaged soup can and you’ve got yourself a conversation starter!
What you need:
1 cup sugar
1 cup basil leaves plus more for garnish
Juice of 4 limes
What to do:
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and 2 cups water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
2. Remove from heat and add basil leaves.
3. Allow mixture to completely cool.
4. Stir in lime juice and pour mixture into freezer proof container (I used a pyrex loaf pan).
5. Flake with a fork every couple of hours….or honestly, you could allow the entire thing to freeze and scrape it all with a fork then…it will be a “snowier” consistency.
To Serve: Scoop into a cute bowl or in this case a tin can. Garnish with tiny basil leaves.
Great served as an intermezzo to cleanse the palate.