By Libbie Summers
Photography by Jade and Matthew Take Pictures
If heaven was edible, it would be this Maple Caramel Sauce.
Bread and Butter Pudding with Maple Caramel Sauce
(layered brioche, chocolate, salted maple caramel sauce)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
7 ounces brioche, cut into eight 1/2-inch slices, halved diagonally
3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
½ cup Pappy & Co. Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Salty Maple Caramel Sauce (recipe to follow)
1. Preheat oven to 325 º F. Butter a shallow baking dish.
2. Sprinkle chocolate evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.
3. Arrange brioche slices in dish.
4 In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, milk, cream, syrup, cinnamon and salt.
5. Pour mixture over the brioche and let sit 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle top with sugar
7. Bake until bread pudding is puffed and custard is set (about 1 hour). Let cool and serve with Salty Maple Caramel Sauce.
Salty Maple Caramel Sauce
(heaven in a spoonful)
2 cups Pappy & Co. Maple Syrup
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon flake sea salt (we use Maldon)
1. In a deep thick bottom pot over medium heat, add maple syrup and bring to a low boil. Allow to boil for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes with a silicone spatula (syrup will start to coat the backside of the spatula and become thick when cooled).