By Libbie Summers
Photography by Teresa Earnest Photography
Three secrets to share here for a decadent chewy brownie:
1. Use great chocolate
2. Use salted and roasted nuts (I used macadamia nuts here)
3. Pop the brownies in the refrigerator right out of the oven!
What you need:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
6 ounces high quality dark chocolate (70% cacao minimum), finely chopped
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 cup roasted and salted macadamia nuts
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 8×8 metal baking pan win non-stick baking spray. Line with parchment (so it hangs over two sides of the pan) and spray again.
2. Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Melt Chocolate: In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, add the butter and chocolate and cook, stirring, until chocolate is melted.
4. Finish Chocolate: Remove chocolate from heat and stir in the sugars (mixture will be a little grainy still). Whisk in the eggs and yolk one at a time. Whisk in vanilla paste and whisk the hell out of it for about 30 seconds.
5. Mix in Dry Ingredients: Stir in the dry ingredients until fully combined.
6. Mix in Macadamia Nuts: Stir in the macadamia nuts.
7. Bake Brownies: Spread brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven until a cake tester (aka bamboo skewer or toothpick) inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out with just a bit of a mess stuck to it, about 30 minutes. The middle should still be moist…not a gooey mess.
8. Refrigerate Brownies: This is key for a chewy brownie! Immediately put the hot brownies in your refrigerator to cool for a minimum of an hour before slicing. I like to chill mine overnight.
No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!