By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Photography by Teresa Earnest Photography
Chic Frozen Bananas
makes 6 pops
What you need:
3 medium sized and firm bananas
12 ounces high quality dark chocolate, chopped
edible gold and silver sheets (buy them HERE)
Fancy dragees (4-6mm), I used shades of blue and white
Fancy colored sugar (I used blue)
6 blue popsicle sticks
What to do:
1. Line a small baking sheet or plate with freezer paper.
2. Peel bananas and cut in half. Insert popsicle stick into the cut end and place on prepared baking sheet. Freeze a minimum of one hour or overnight.
3. Place a large heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water and add the chocolate. Use a silicone spatula to stir occasionally until just melted and smooth.
4. While chocolate is melting, lay another piece of freezer paper on a small baking sheet or large plate. Pour each of your candy decorations into medium bowls and place a spoon inside (you’ll need to work fast, so be ready!). Have a spoon ready for the chocolate. Have your silver and gold sheets in their packs and near by.
5. Remove chocolate from the heat and place on work surface.
6. Remove bananas from the freezer.
7. Working with one banana pop at a time, hold onto the stick and point the pointy side down over the chocolate. Use a spoon to spoon melted chocolate onto the banana to cover. Push off any extra chocolate with the back of the spoon. Once covered move over to the candy and spoon over the still wet chocolate. Hold for a second to dry before laying onto the prepared baking sheet. If decorating with silver or gold edible paper, carefully remove one sheet at a time and gently lay it on the just covered chocolate banana. Tap in place with your finger. Add more sheets as needed, but a little of the metal goes a long way!
8. Cover the finished bananas with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until ready to serve.