By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
An imperfect rainbow of sprinkles, mega marshmallows “clouds” and a balloon dog pot of gold! Don’t worry about everything being perfect, just have fun. The end result will ALWAYS bring a smile.
What you need:
1 frosted layer cake (we used a 8-inch and 6-inch vanilla cake)
4 (6-inch) cardboard cake rounds
1 cup (each) sprinkles in rainbow colors (we used in this order purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and pink), the full amount of each will depend on the size of your cakes.
1 bag extra large marshmallows
1 Jimmie the Balloon Dog Cake Topper Kit
What to do:
1. Working with the bottom or larger cake first, place one cardboard cake round on either end and set aside. Using a sheet tray, pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the purple sprinkles along the longest edge. Straighten the edge with a ruler or dough scraper and pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the blue sprinkles next to the purple. Continue with the green (1/2-3/4 cup) sprinkles.
2. Holding the cake by the ends with the card board rounds, line up the cake at the at the end of the tray and roll (using pressure) the cake across the stripes of colors.
3. Use the extra sprinkles to fill in any gaps. Remove cardboard round on the top and cover the top of the cake (purple will be the bottom) with the extra green sprinkles.
4. Repeat the striping process with the smaller cake, starting with the yellow sprinkles. Then orange and finally pink.
5. Use the extra yellow, orange and pink sprinkles to fill in any holes. Remove bottom top cardboard cake round (yellow will be at the bottom) and cover the top of the cake with pink sprinkles. Remove bottom cardboard cake round and carefully place smaller cake atop the larger cake.
6. Top cake with marshmallows.
7. Top marshmallows with a pot of gold Jimmie the Balloon Dog!