By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Photography by Teresa Earnest Photography
What you need:
1 head cauliflower
1/2 cup olive oil
Flake sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 pomegranate (or one cup pomegranate seeds)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place oven rack in the lower middle of the oven.
2. Trim cauliflower removing all green parts and cutting down stem until it lays flat and place on a baking sheet.
3. Drizzle olive oil all over the cauliflower and rub in with your fingers.
4. Generously salt and pepper and place in the oven. Roast until the cauliflower is golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside, take it out of the oven (a knife should slide in and out without any resistance), about 1 1/4 hours.
5. While cauliflower is roasting, make the Pomegranate Molasses.
6. In a large, uncovered saucepan, heat pomegranate seeds and any juice, 1 cup water, sugar and lemon juice. on medium high until the sugar has dissolved and the juice simmers. Reduce heat just enough to maintain a simmer. Simmer for about an 30-40 minutes, or until the juice has a syrupy consistency. Strain through a colander to remove seeds and place in the refrigerator to cool.
To Serve: Make a show! Place the cauliflower on a beautiful platter and drizzle the blood/sauce over.