By Libbie Summers
Photography by Jade and Matthew Take Pictures
PA: Candace Brower
Who knew adding a little maple syrup would make a side dish…well delicious? Em, meeeee!! I love these two super simple and unique dishes that went from ordinary to just past extraordinary with a splash of Pappy and Company Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup.
Maple Thyme Roasted Carrots
(bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, fresh thyme, spring carrots)
2 pounds carrots/all approximately the same size, washed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Pappy and Company Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon flake sea salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Place carrots on a sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, syrup, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Using your hands, toss to coat.
4. Spread in an even layer on the sheet tray and bake until just tender (about 40 minutes depending on the size of your carrots).
Maple Braised Radishes
(peppery Spring radish bathed in maple)
2 bunches radishes (about 1 pound), preferably icicle, tops trimmed to 1 inch above roots, but leave a few with greens because they’re beautiful
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Pappy & Company Pure Maple Syrup
½ teaspoon flake sea salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1. Place the radishes in a large sauté pan and add just enough cold water to cover.
2. Add the oil, maple syrup, salt, and chipotle pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the radishes are just tender when pierced with a fork and the liquid has reduced to a glaze, about 12 minutes.If the radishes are tender but the liquid hasn’t reduced sufficiently, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a serving dish and continue reducing the liquid. Spoon glaze over the radishes and serve. Great for a side dish with roasted chicken or on their own with crusty bread.
No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!