Recipe and Styling by Libbie Summers
Photography by Chia Chong
Recipe via Salted and Styled
Just the way I like it…a little sweet with a pop of heat.
makes 1 quart
1 pound loquat, stems and seeds removed
1 Jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 limes, juiced
4 garlic cloves, whole
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Have a sterilized quart jar with a tight fitting lid at the ready –I sterilize mine in the refrigerator.
- Layer the loquats and jalapeno slices in the sterilized jar.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, garlic cloves and salt. Pour mixture over the loquats and jalapeno slices.
- Place the lid on the jar and give it a good shake.
- Refrigerate for 1 week before eating.
Libbie’s Food Styling Props: (top photo) Shot on black chalkboard painted wood. Background is an old table top picked up at Habersham Antiques Market. Jar is a Weck cylinder canning jar from Kaufman-Mercantile. Knife from Wertz Brothers Antique Mall in Santa Monica, CA (now closed). (bottom phot0) Shot leaning up against the loquat tree in my side yard. Wearing a Fog Linen apron. Jeans are DL1961. Shoes are Tom’s.
Other Pickle Recipes from Salted and Styled:
Farm Stand Refrigerator Pickled Vegetables
Green Grass Refrigerator Pickles
Hot Peppered Pickled Pig’s Feet