By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Photography by Teresa Earnest
Bat Hat and Cape Set from Lovelane Designs
Lovelane Designs: “We want to make you and The Bitch a Halloween costume. What would you like to be?”
Me: “A bat.”
This look inspired me to make bat-shaped cookies to sprinkle my Hobgoblin Sprinkles over from Yum Yum Smile Shop!
The Only Sugar Cookie Recipe You Will Ever Need
makes 3 dozen (depending on cookie cutter size)
What you need:
3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for bench flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla paste (can sub vanilla extract)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract Buttercream frosting or royal icing for decorating
Yum Yum Smile Shop Sprinkles for decorating…natch!
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in egg, paste and extract.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. The dough should be stiff.
5. Do not chill the dough…just get right into it! Lightly flour a work surface and cut off enough dough to be workable. Roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut with your cookie cutters. Place on the prepared baking trays and bake for 6-8 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting and decorating.
No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!