By Libbie Summers
Assisted by David Dempsey
Cuisine Apron Dress in White Linen from Libbie Summers Yum Yum Smile Shop
Orange Gingham Trimmed Linen Napkin from Libbie Summers Yum Yum Smile Shop
A had my first warm slice of this cake on the island of Sardinia. It was a game changer –not too sweet, refreshing and easy to make. The perfect weeknight OR entertaining cake. There’s something about bringing a sprite little cake pulled from the oven just a few minutes before straight to the dinner table.
Italian Orange Cake
What you need:
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract (optional) *recipe to follow
Powdered sugar for dusting
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 7-8″ springform pan with non-stick baking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and spray the top of the parchment. Set aside.
2. Boil and Process Orange: Add orange to a small saucepan with boiling water. Boil orange, moving around often, for 30 minutes. Remove from water to drain. Cut into quarters and remove any visible seeds. Add the entire orange to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and pulse to process until any large chunks are gone. Set aside. (BOILING IS OPTIONAL, I think it makes the rind less bitter and produces more juice but if you are in a time crunch just pulverize the thing!)
3. Start Batter: In a large mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, whisk in yogurt and butter until incorporated (Note: there may still be lumps of butter in batter…this is totally cool.). Set aside.
4. Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
5. Finish Batter: Gradually add flour mixture to batter until incorporated. Do not over mix! Stir in pulverized orange and extract (optional).
6. Bake Cake: Pour mixture into prepared springform pan and bake until set in the middle (about 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 205ºF.)
To Serve: Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
*Fiori di Sicilia Extract Recipe: 1 part orange extract + 1 part lemon extract + 2 parts vanilla extract
Your Cooks notes are one of my favorite things about your recipes! I can HEAR your voice as I read,
“Just pulverize the thing!”